USER INTERVIEW: Joeydubya
All our users have voices to be heard and stories to tell – and this is finally the time to start introducing you to our community members. There are dozens of small groups, communities, games and projects hiding below the surface and we want to give them some exposure. Our fifth amazing user to interview is @Joeydubya – a man of comedy and great taste in both music and games!
1. Hey there @Joeydubya! Please introduce yourself to the community, tell us a little bit more about yourself.
I’m Joe, as my unimaginative username already shows. I live in the middle of England and work in mental health. When that isn’t emotionally exhausting enough, I perform comedy.
2. How much music do you listen to a day and what’s the best ideal circumstance/environment to listen to music?
As much as I can. Likely two to three hours a day. If I’m not working or being vaguely sociable, there is almost always some form of noise coming out of my headphones.
3. What does music give you that other art forms can’t?
It’s the most immediate form. You can communicate so much and manipulate so much feeling within a few minutes. A talented writer is a subjective, but a brilliant musician’s genius is evident and undeniable.
4. What’s your favourite album? (If you can say why, all the better!)
Far too many to mention! I would say I have a great affection to anything eccentric and unloved, which often bewilders people and likely alludes to something deeply Freudian. But if I only had one thing to listen to forever, it’d be Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths.
5. How do you find new music, new bands, where do you go to find new stuff?
I make quite an operation of it… reading endless blogs and trusted media outlets, before heading to various radio websites and essentially compiling playlists of their tracklistings. Music is something I get quite nerdy about, I like to be the person who tells you about new bands first.
6. Tell us three non-music works of art that you’ve digested recently and we need to sample them! Books, films, fashion, whatever! Bring it on!
I’m so behind the curve… I spend too much time watching rubbish sitcoms to get into hip US drama serials!
- I did get to see the recent David Bowie exhibit at the V&A which would obviously be of interest to most sensible people, but resisted the opportunity to make myself look like Aladdin Sane, I rather fear it’d be more like Rick Moranis with a lightning bolt on his face.
- I finally got round to reading The Great Gatsby before the film comes out, which probably makes me a philistine, but a philistine who’d like to go to livelier parties at least.
- If anyone is into games, I recently played Thomas Was Alone, a fantastic lo-fi indie platformer with a beautiful narration from Danny Wallace. It’s a highly imaginative and involving story which makes it a truly affirming experience. Fully recommended to anyone, even non-gamers. Got me off an unhealthy diet of soccer franchises (for a few hours at least).
7. How did you find Tastebuds and what do you like most about it?
Likely a music forum. Musical enthusiasm is very attractive, so it’s nice to have a site that looks to make that sort of a connection. Most people have very interesting stories to tell of themselves here, passionate, driven and creative individuals with a life beyond cheeky vimto and Saturday nights watching ITV. Which is snobby, but… oh well.
8. Freestyle question – tell us about anything you’d like to talk about!
Briefly I’d like to state that Cosgrove Hall’s Wind in the Willows is an overlooked classic. It should be canonised thus.
9. Which Tastebuds user should we make the next mini-interview with and why?
I love all the witty usernames, but I think @asecretchord would be keen!
Thank you for the interview, Joe – really looking forward to meeting you at one of our meetups and wishing you more time to grab more great music and indie games! ROCK ON!
Join Tastebuds and meet people through music
Tastebuds connects you with people in your city who share your taste in music. Simply add your favourite music and start meeting new people!See your music matches